2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. 2017 BMW 5-Series
If you’re interested in a sleek, luxury sedan, you have probably considered a 2017 BMW 5-Series sedan. While the BMW 5-Series does have an attractive look and a number of innovative features, it doesn’t live up to the 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The 2017 E-Class is more powerful, better equipped, and safer than the 5-Series. Let’s take a closer look at why.
Powertrain and Performance
When comparing the Mercedes-Benz E 400 and the BMW 535i, you will find that they are both outfitted with a turbocharged 3.0L V6 engine and an eco start/stop system (ECO-START® in the E-Class) that shuts off at stoplights or other idle situations in order to maximize fuel economy. However, the E 400 sedan can generate 329 hp and 354 Ib-ft of torque while the 535i is only capable of producing 300 hp and 300 Ib-ft of torque.
If you’re looking to save at the fuel pump, the E-Class is the way to go, as it can deliver up to 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. The 5-series lags behind in fuel efficiency numbers as its maximum EPA ratings are 19 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.
It’s clear that the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and BMW 5-Series do not skimp on convenience features. On both models, you’ll find a generous assortment of standard features that include 17-inch alloy wheels, 10-way power front seats, split-folding rear seats, leather upholstery, central display screens, and Bluetooth®* phone and audio connectivity. In addition to the features mentioned above, the E-Class is furnished with the following luxurious amenities that are simply unavailable on even the top-tier BMW 550i xDrive Gran Turismo:
- FrontBass System
- Near-Field Communication Technology
- COMAND® System with Touchpad Controller
- NFC Wireless Charging
- Rapid Heating Feature for Front Seats
- Remote Start via Mercedes Me App
Safety You Can Count On
You’ll feel protected in the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and the BMW 5-Series thanks to the multi-airbag protection, stability and traction control, antilock disc brakes, keyless entry system, and emergency telematics. Once you dive deeper into the safety offerings of both sedans, you will quickly realize that the E-Class features several top-notch safety systems that are not an option on the 5-Series. These Mercedes-Benz exclusive features include:
- ATTENTION ASSIST®: This feature was engineered to monitor the drowsiness and fatigue level of a driver based on the way he or she drives. If it detects that you are too drowsy to continue driving, it will issue an audible and visual alert.
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS®: This system uses a radar to constantly monitor closing speeds between your E-Class and the moving vehicles that surround it. If it determines that an accident is likely, it will provide you with an audible warning while assisting you in applying the ideal braking level. Autonomous braking will be provided if you fail to respond for any reason.
- PARKTRONIC®: With PARKTRONIC®, you’ll never have trouble parking. This system displays the correct steering wheel movements for ideal parking and indicates open parking spaces as your E-Class passes by.
- PRESAFE® Sound: The PRESAFE® sound system was engineered to emit a “pink noise” tone through the audio system right before an accident in order to induce a natural reflex to shut out the loud noises that you may hear during an impact.
Explore the 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class at at RBM of Alpharetta
If you’d like to get the most out of your vehicle investment, don’t settle for the BMW 5-Series. Instead, drive home in the Mercedes-Benz E-Class. By doing so, you’ll enjoy a more powerful, safer, and technologically advanced vehicle. To take the Mercedes-Benz E-Class out for a spin, contact RBM of Alpharetta today.
*Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of Bluetooth® SIG, Inc.